Biggs Museum of American Art
0.7 mi from the Inn (15 minute walk)
Features the only comprehensive representational American paintings collection on the Delmarva Peninsula, with highlights by the Peale family, Albert Bierstadt, Gilbert Stuart, and Childe Hassam. Experience a variety of art forms, including sculptures by Hiram Powers and images by Brandywine School illustrator Frank E. Schoonover. View examples of furniture by early-American cabinetmakers. The Museum also houses a fine collection of regional silver.
Delaware Agricultural Museum & Village
1.2 miles from the Inn (30 minute walk)
The main Exhibit Hall features historic farm equipment of all sizes, including a crop-dusting bi-plane, milk truck, and rare steam-powered equipment. Outdoors, stroll through "Loockerman Landing," a re-created 1890s town. Tour several historic buildings, including a train station, church, barbershop, general store, one-room schoolhouse, mill, blacksmith shop, and farmhouse.
Delaware Public Archives, Visitor Center & Galleries
1 mile from the Inn (20 minute walk)
Housed in the Delaware Public Archives building, the welcome center features changing exhibits and a rotating display of Delaware's founding documents, while also serving as a source of information on local and statewide attractions, events, and activities.
Johnson Victrola Museum
0.8 mile from the Inn (20 minute walk)
The museum highlights the life and achievements of Eldridge Reeves Johnson, founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company and a pioneer in the development of the sound-recording industry. His company grossed millions annually, and produced some of the most famous recording artists in the world, before being sold to RCA in 1929. Exhibits include phonographs, recordings, memorabilia, trademarks, objects, and paintings that highlight Mr. Johnson's successful business enterprises and chronicle the early development of the recording industry.
Old State House
0.7 mi from the Inn (15 minute walk)
Explore the trials and tribulations of a new state at this important landmark, completed in 1791. The first floor of the Old State House features an 18th century-style courtroom, while the second floor features the former chambers of the state legislature. The building served as Delaware's state capitol until 1933.
Easy Driving Distance (Under 10 miles):
Air Mobility Command Museum (adjacent to Dover Air Force Base)
This is the only museum in the United States dedicated to airlift and air refueling history. See more than 30 aircraft varying in roles and sizes, including airlifters, fighters, bombers, helicopters, a massive C-5 Galaxy, and even a presidential aircraft. Many are open for tours. Climb to the top of a historic control tower, try a flight simulator, or find the perfect souvenir at the excellent gift shop.
Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge
Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge protects one of the largest expanses of tidal salt marsh in the mid-Atlantic region. The refuge, located along the coast of Delaware, is mostly marsh, but also includes freshwater impoundments and upland habitats that are managed for other wildlife. The refuge, a nationally recognized birding spot, is designated a Globally Important Bird Area. The refuge offers visitors a 12-mile wildlife drive, five walking trails, three observation towers, and interpretative displays.
Delaware State Police Museum
Uncover fascinating true crime stories from Delaware's past, and learn about law enforcement from retired state troopers. Items on display include a 911 command and control console, vintage uniforms, firearms, a motorcycle, helicopter, and several patrol cars.
Dover Downs Casino (and Harness Racing)
Dover Downs is Delaware's largest casino complex, with live harness racing, several dining options, concerts, shopping areas, a luxury spa, and 24-hour gaming with live table games, poker, and sports betting. Dover Downs is smoke-free, and features more than 2,300 slot machines and 41 gaming tables.
Fordham & Dominion Brewery Tours
Fordham & Dominion breweries joined forces in 2007, and moved operations to Dover in 2009. Today, Fordham & Dominion is an independent craft brewery, producing eight varieties of beer year-round, plus regular seasonal and specialty releases. Dominion also manufactures four types of soda, including root beer and ginger ale. Stop by their on-site tasting room for a pint or a souvenir. Brewery tours are offered Tuesday-Sunday afternoons on a first-come, first-served basis.
John Dickinson Plantation
John Dickinson was one of the founding fathers of the United States – a signer of the U.S. Constitution – and was known as the "Penman of the Revolution." Explore this historic plantation, and take a trip into the fascinating world of 18th-century America. Tours are conducted by historic interpreters dressed in period clothing.
- AMC Theatres - 14-screen movie theatre at the Dover Mall
- Brunswick Doverama - Bowling, Billiards & Arcade (1600 S Governors Ave, Dover)
- Tre Sorelle Dolce - Miniature Golf & Ice Cream Parlor (27 South Railroad Ave, Camden)
Golf (Public Courses):
- Dover Par 3 Golf - Easy 18-hole course, with driving range & batting cages (924 Artis Dr, Dover)
- Garrison's Lake Golf Course - Wooded, state-owned course (101 W Fairways Cir, Smyrna)
- Jonathan's Landing Golf Course - Scenic course with pro shop (1309 Ponderosa Dr, Magnolia)
Parks and Nature:
- Abbott's Mill Nature Center - Historic mill and pond with trails (15411 Abbotts Pond Rd, Milford)
- Brecknock County Park - Scenic 86-acre park with walking trails (80 Old Camden Rd, Camden)
- Killens Pond State Park & Water Park (5025 Killen's Pond Rd, Felton)
- Silver Lake Park - 182-acre city park (3 blocks from the inn)
- Byler's Market - Grocery store, gift shop and bakery, in Amish country (1368 Rose Valley School Rd, Dover)
- Downtown Dover Shopping District - Several shops within walking distance
- Fifer Orchards & Country Store - Local produce, baked goods, honey, & ice cream; open Apr-Dec (1919 Allabands Mill Rd, Wyoming)
- Simply Charming - Antiques and crafts; two nearby locations (11 Mill Street, Wyoming)
- Spence's Bazaar & Flea Market - Open Tues, Fri, Sat (550 S New St, Dover)