Before booking your trip to Dover, please verify hours and days of operation for any attraction or business you plan to visit. Many museums and restaurants are closed on Sunday, Monday, and/or Tuesday.
Biggs Museum of American Art
0.7 mi from the Inn (15 minute walk); open Wednesday - Saturday
Features the only comprehensive representational American paintings collection on the Delmarva Peninsula, with highlights by the Peale family, Albert Bierstadt, Gilbert Stuart, and Childe Hassam. Experience a variety of art forms, including sculptures by Hiram Powers and images by Brandywine School illustrator Frank E. Schoonover. View examples of furniture by early-American cabinetmakers. The Museum also houses a fine collection of regional silver.
Delaware Agricultural Museum & Village
1.2 miles from the Inn (30 minute walk); open Wednesday - Saturday
The main Exhibit Hall features historic farm equipment of all sizes, including a crop-dusting bi-plane, milk truck, and rare steam-powered equipment. Outdoors, stroll through "Loockerman Landing," a re-created 1890s town. Tour several historic buildings, including a train station, church, barbershop, general store, one-room schoolhouse, mill, blacksmith shop, and farmhouse.
Delaware Public Archives, Visitor Center & Galleries
1 mile from the Inn (20 minute walk)
Housed in the Delaware Public Archives building, the welcome center features changing exhibits and a rotating display of Delaware's founding documents, while also serving as a source of information on local and statewide attractions, events, and activities.
Johnson Victrola Museum
0.8 mile from the Inn (20 minute walk); open Wednesday - Saturday
The museum highlights the life and achievements of Eldridge Reeves Johnson, founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company and a pioneer in the development of the sound-recording industry. His company grossed millions annually, and produced some of the most famous recording artists in the world, before being sold to RCA in 1929. Exhibits include phonographs, recordings, memorabilia, trademarks, objects, and paintings that highlight Mr. Johnson's successful business enterprises and chronicle the early development of the recording industry.
Old State House
0.7 mi from the Inn (15 minute walk)
Open for guided tours Wednesday - Saturday (see website for tour times)
Explore the trials and tribulations of a new state at this important landmark, completed in 1791. The first floor of the Old State House features an 18th century-style courtroom, while the second floor features the former chambers of the state legislature. The building served as Delaware's state capitol until 1933.
Easy Driving Distance (Under 10 miles):
Air Mobility Command Museum (adjacent to Dover Air Force Base)
Open Wednesday - Sunday
This is the only museum in the United States dedicated to airlift and air refueling history. See more than 30 aircraft varying in roles and sizes, including airlifters, fighters, bombers, helicopters, a massive C-5 Galaxy, and even a presidential aircraft. Many are open for tours. Climb to the top of a historic control tower, and try a flight simulator.
Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge
Open daily sunrise - sunset; visitor center open weekends
Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge protects one of the largest expanses of tidal salt marsh in the mid-Atlantic region. The refuge, located along the coast of Delaware, is mostly marsh, but also includes freshwater impoundments and upland habitats that are managed for other wildlife. The refuge, a nationally recognized birding spot, is designated a Globally Important Bird Area. The refuge offers visitors a 12-mile wildlife drive, five walking trails, three observation towers, and interpretative displays.
Delaware State Police Museum
Open Tuesday - Saturday
Uncover fascinating true crime stories from Delaware's past, and learn about law enforcement from retired state troopers. Items on display include a 911 command and control console, vintage uniforms, firearms, a motorcycle, helicopter, and several patrol cars.
John Dickinson Plantation
Outdoor grounds open Tuesday - Sunday; house tours available Thursday - Sunday
John Dickinson was one of the founding fathers of the United States – a signer of the U.S. Constitution – and was known as the "Penman of the Revolution." Explore this historic plantation, and take a trip into the fascinating world of 18th-century America. Tours are conducted Thursday - Saturday by historic interpreters dressed in period clothing.
Breweries, Distilleries, & Wineries:
- Blue Earl Brewing (210 Artisan Dr, Smyrna)
- Fordham & Dominion Brewing (1284 McD Dr, Dover)
- Harvest Ridge Winery (447 Westville Rd, Marydel)
- Painted Stave Distilling (106 W Commerce St, Smyrna)
- Pizzadili Winery (1683 Peach Basket Rd, Felton)
- Rebel Seed Cidery (447 Westville Rd, Marydel)
Casinos & Harness Racing:All Delaware casinos are smoke-free, and include slots, table games, sports betting, and live harness racing (in season).
- Bally's Dover Casino Resort (1131 N Dupont Hwy, Dover)
- Harrington Raceway & Casino (18500 S DuPont Highway, Harrington)
- AMC Theatres - 14-screen movie theatre at the Dover Mall
- Brunswick Doverama - Bowling, Billiards & Arcade (1600 S Governors Ave, Dover)
- Dover Motor Speedway: Drive the track - Available by reservation on specific dates
- Dover Motor Speedway: Track Tours - Guided tours available Mon-Fri by appt.
- Killens Pond Water Park - Public pool with 5 water slides (5025 Killen's Pond Rd, Felton)
- Tre Sorelle Dolce - Mini-Golf course with ice cream parlor (27 South Railroad Ave, Camden)
Golf (Public Courses):
- Dover Par 3 Golf - Easy 18-hole course, with driving range & batting cages (924 Artis Dr, Dover)
- Garrison's Lake Golf Course - Wooded, state-owned course (101 W Fairways Cir, Smyrna)
- Jonathan's Landing Golf Course - Scenic course with pro shop (1309 Ponderosa Dr, Magnolia)
Parks and Trails:
- Abbott's Mill Nature Center - Historic mill and pond with trails (15411 Abbotts Pond Rd, Milford)
- Brecknock County Park - Scenic 86-acre park with walking trails (80 Old Camden Rd, Camden)
- Fork Branch Nature Preserve - 1-mile forest loop trail (across from 2401 Kenton Rd, Dover)
- Killens Pond State Park - 2.6 mile trail; canoe & kayak rental (5025 Killen's Pond Rd, Felton)
- Silver Lake Park - 182-acre city park (3 blocks from the inn)
- Byler's Market - Groceries, gifts, & bakery, in Amish country (1368 Rose Valley School Rd, Dover)
- Delaware Shoppe - Delaware-themed gifts (325 S State St, Dover)
- Fifer Orchards & Farm Store - Local produce, baked goods, honey, & ice cream; open Apr-Dec (1919 Allabands Mill Rd, Wyoming)
- Forney's Too - Unique gifts, collectibles, and Delaware souvenirs (102 W Loockerman St, Dover)
- Parke Green Galleries - Original paintings, prints, and gifts by local artists (329 S State St, Dover)
- Simply Charming - Antiques and crafts; two nearby locations (11 Mill Street, Wyoming)
- Spence's Bazaar & Flea Market - Open Tues, Fri, Sat (550 S New St, Dover)